Welcome to Leawood
The top-rated school system, bustling downtown and voted one of the best places to live in the U.S.!
Nestled between larger Overland Park and Kansas City, Leawood offers easy access to urban amenities. Within its borders, however, this affluent suburb boasts top schools, some of the region’s most valuable homes, and abundant fine dining opportunities.
Leawood offers high-end suburban life without being far from the hustle and bustle of KC city life. While driving through the area, you’ll find gorgeous neighborhoods with pristine homes, manicured parks and playgrounds for the kids, great dining, some of the best gyms in the area, and shopping centers that will give you some serious retail therapy.
If you’re looking for a more stable environment to enjoy the finer things in life, then Leawood may just be a place you’d want to call home!
What to Love
- Hip, bustling downtown with an abundance of stores
- 97% graduation rate from Leawood high schools
- Quiet, family-friendly and well-manicured
People and Lifestyle
But just because the area is a little wealthier, doesn’t mean this is a snobby area; Leawood shares the same community-driven and friendly mindset that the Kansas City area is known for. You won’t have to worry about loud noises or a crazy party scene since a lot of people there are family-oriented – however, if residents want to have some fun, the Power & Light district is only less than 10 miles away.
Dining, Entertainment, and Shopping
Several of the area’s top chefs have outposts in Leawood and the famous Joe's Kansas City BBQ has a Leawood location as well! Here are our top picks for the best restaurants in Leawood:
- Rye: James Beard-honored Colby and Megan Garrelts operate this bistro which serves upscale midwestern classics like a prime KC strip steak, fried chicken, deviled free-range eggs, lemon meringue, and banana cream pie.
- Gaslight Grill: To enjoy great live music, and even better steaks, get a table in the Back Room at Gaslight Grill. During the dinner hours on Wednesday-Sunday, you can enjoy some of the best live jazz in all of the Kansas City metro area.
- Joe’s KC BBQ: The absolute best BBQ joint in Kansas City – you have to try the crispy burnt ends, perfect smoked ribs, or homemade sausages.
- Bristol Seafood Grill: Great for a date night or brunch!
- 801 Chophouse: Upscale elegant steakhouse
- Sullivan’s: Another great steakhouse right in downtown Leawood!
For shopping, you’ll love spending the day at Town Center Plaza or Park Place – they boast shops like Anthropologie, Apple, Fabletics, Kendra Scott, Madewell, and Lululemon.
Things to Do
Town Center Plaza is the local outdoor, open-air mall that boasts over 90 retail stores and restaurants, making it the local place to stay on top of the latest fashion trends. And just across the street is Park Place which offers a smaller, more unique feel with their one-of-a-kind boutiques. You can relax at one of the spas or head to the square for live music. As a special treat, the green square transforms into a skating rink during the winter, so the fun continues all year long.
Pinot’s Palette is a fun girls-night spot to bring out your creativity and drink some great wine. While there are paint and sip classes for the older crowd, there are also kid-friendly family events for kids aged 11-17. Alternatively, Blade & Timber Axe Throwing is the perfect night out location for some ax-throwing fun.
Leawood is home to the massive, 66-acre Leawood City Park which has 11 soccer fields, six tennis courts, three basketball goals, two baseball fields, two sand volleyball courts, and a jogging trail. During the summer, you can visit the aquatic center or enjoy some of their public events. Junior League is present in Leawood and young women of the community can partake in their community-building activities, philanthropy, and social events. One of the best public golf facilities in Kansas City, Ironhorse Golf Club is a well-kept par 72 18-hole course.
The Blue Valley School District is a top factor that pulls people into Leawood – this school district is not only one of the best in the Kansas City area, it’s also one of the top school districts in the country. The district boasts extremely high test scores and a 97% graduation rate!